The chair is a great success for which a very big thank you to you. The carers are managing to sit him correctly and several people have commented on his posture being so much better. I've sent a letter today to TPG thanking them for introducing us to you and to emphasise what a good job you did, so hopefully you'll get more referrals. Thank you again for everything. We'll be in touch if there are any future issues. God bless you, JG
What level of service can I expect after I receive my wheelchair?
- Equipment from the NHS is maintained and repaired at no cost to the user. If the user changes in any way where different equipment may be required, they can be re-assessed.
- Every wheelchair will come with a manufacturer's warranty. The length of this warranty period will between manufacturers and even between different parts of one wheelchair. Explanation of the warranty periods should form part of the buying process. The manufacturer's warranty covers parts but does not cover the time taken by the retailer to replace the parts. Ensure the sales agreement stipulates who is responsible for the cost of the time to fit parts covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
- There are also service packages available from most retailers. These are agreements to replace, repair or fix problems with the wheelchair and can include accidental damage. They are normally underwritten by an insurance company.
- Breakdown insurance cover is also available. This can also include public liability insurance, which provides cover for accidental damage to someone or something else.
How long should a wheelchair last?
- This varies a lot and depends entirely on how the wheelchair is used and in what conditions. Expect to use the wheelchair for three to five years before it needs replacing, but it may last a lot longer if it is not often used or used well within its physical limits.
How long does it take to get a wheelchair?
- Very basic wheelchairs will be available for immediate purchase from a retailer, or immediate issue from an NHS wheelchair service. More complex wheelchairs will take much longer and require several appointments before an order is made. For complex equipment, it is essential to trial equipment prior to purchase to ensure it works as expected and meets the requirements of the user. There can sometimes be a delay of several weeks waiting for demonstration equipment to be delivered from a manufacturer.
- Once a wheelchair is ordered it can take up to 12 weeks for it to be delivered. This depends greatly on the manufacturer and the complexity of the equipment being ordered. Some equipment can be delivered in a few days.
Testimonial for Silver Fern Therapy:
I found John, from Silver Fern therapy, to have an excellent understanding of my needs after I recently had an assessment with him. The process of assessment was detailed, including looking at my posture out of my wheelchair to see where I needed to be supported. I trialled some seating solutions at his suggestion and my seated position was much improved and I think it will make a positive difference to my long-term health and pain levels. John then wrote a very comprehensive report for me with images to help in explanation. I would recommend Silver Fern Therapy to wheelchair users who need an independent opinion to navigate the myriad of options that are available.
I hope that you are well.
I had a call from my client today saying how impressed that he was with you yesterday. He found it really helpful so thanks for that. He wants to recommend you to a friend of his.
Thanks once again
JC - Anglia Case Management